The Permanent Delegation of Italy to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and BIE is located on the first and second floors of a prestigious XVIII-century hôtel particulier in the Saint Germain district (VII arrondissement), between rue de Varenne, rue de Grenelle and rue du Bac.
The Hôtel de Galliffet, which takes its name from one of its owners, was built by French architect Legrand between 1776 and 1792. From 1794 to 1821 it hosted the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Eminent historical figures like Napoleon, Madame de Staël, Talleyrand and Chateaubriand used to visit its parlors.
Italy rented it for a few years then acquired it in 1909. Its premises hosted the Italian Embassy in Paris from 1894 to1938. In 1898 it underwent restoration works and was equipped with today’s grand stairway and the twelve ionic columns that support the dome in-between the mythological bas-reliefs.
After the Italian Embassy was moved to nearby Hôtel de La Rochefoucauld-Doudeauville in rue de Varenne, the Hôtel de Galliffet hosted the Italian Consulate until 1962. Ever since, it hosted the Permanent Delegation of Italy to the International Organizations, together with the the Permanent Delegation of Italy to the UNESCO and BIE , the Italian Institute for Culture and the Military Attachés.