UNESCO offers numerous job opportunities, both at its Headquarters in Paris and in its field offices around the world.
Job opportunities at UNESCO may be divided into three main categories:
1. PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS
The professional career at UNESCO is divided into several grades:
– “junior” professional (P-1/P-2 grade) – requires a 2/3 year working experience and entails being included in a team in which one’s own knowledge and expertise contribute to the accomplishment of a specific project.
– “intermediate” professional (P-3/P-4 grade) – requires a 4/8 year working experience and entails managing a small team on specific projects.
– “directive” professional (P-5 and D grade) – requires a 10/15 year working experience and entails being appointed to directive positions as section Chief, service Director or field office Director.
Applications are restricted to candidates possessing a degree pertinent to one of UNESCO’s operative fields who are proficient in English and fluent in French (or vice-versa).
For more detailed information, see this link.
2. ASSOCIATED EXPERTS – JPO
Young people willing to carry out a temporary working experience within the United Nations system (from 1 up to 4 years) can apply via the UNDESA bureau in Rome
The main requirements are:
1. a Master degree;
2. the Italian citizenship (a limited number of positions will be assigned to candidates from developing countries)
3. being under 30 (exceptions for a degree in medicine and surgery);
4. English and Italian proficiency.
3. TEMPORARY CONSULTING
High-level professionals who may bring a substantial technical contribution to UNESCO on specific subjects can visit the dedicated Unesco web page via the following link.